The Counsel of Trent

writing is thinking

Friday, November 09, 2007

Note to self: no knives through security


Well my trip is off to an interesting start, totally forgot to take the knife out of my pocket when going through security. They didn't think I should take it on the plane for some reason. Luckily Sarah had not left yet and the dude gave her the knife. Note that she *pretended* to leave, but stayed just out of sight *knowing* that I would do something stupid. Proved her right again.

Next thing I did was drop my laptop. No big deal, I mean it's only got everything I need for three conferences on it. I lucked out again though and it seems to be working just fine.

I'm looking at my plane now. It's nice and shiny. How in the world do those gigantic engines stay on the wings with those tiny connections? Never mind.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:51:00 PM, Blogger John Cassian said...

stress = force / area

by suspending the engine from a distributed area, you lessen the stresses felt by the connectors. Hence, no single connector feels the full force of the engine. It's the same principle behind the whole "laying on a bed of nails" thing.

when the plane is in the air, the engine is pushing / lifting the wing, so it feels no weight at all.

And of course, a lot of testing is involved, and I believe, some level of redundancy in the engines.

Of course, nothing is ever perfect

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21674981/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home