The Counsel of Trent

writing is thinking

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Divine Hiddenness

As I've said here recently, I now think the evidence for God's existence is very good. However, this very statement implies that God is somewhat absent. I don't even bother to speak of evidence of my wife's existence because she's present to me. This is one aspect of what's come to be called "The Problem of Divine Hiddenness".

Though provoked in reading today: Are you willing to be judged by God?

If not, then what would be the use of God revealing himself? He reveals Himself in order to transform us. However, He does not wish to do this contrary to our own wills. If we are not aware of our need for transformation, or unwilling to be transformed, then there's no role for God to play in our lives, so he allows us to proceed as if He does not exist.

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart" (Jeremiah 29:13).


“I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the
wise and the learned, and you have revealed them to infants. Yes, Father, this seemed good in
your sight” (Luke 10:21; cf. Matt. 11:25-26; Isa. 45:15).

2 Comments:

At Monday, March 26, 2007 9:28:00 AM, Blogger Vlastimil Vohánka said...

Trent,
The 3rd par is nice.

Especially: " He reveals Himself in order to transform us. However, He does not wish to do this contrary to our own wills."

Do you mean to imply that if God reveals to a human, then this human must be transformed (as God likes)? However, can't the human resist the transformation?

 
At Monday, March 26, 2007 11:50:00 AM, Blogger Trent_Dougherty said...

My point was that being *willing* to change is a necessary condition of God's self-disclusure (beyond general revelation).

I do not assert that God's self-disclosure is a sufficient condition for change.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home