The Counsel of Trent

writing is thinking

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Practical Parenting Advice

As I was working on a paper refuting external world skepticism--good luck, eh?--my five-year-old comes in and says:

"Daddy, can I come get my baby doll to take outside, we're playing doctor and I'm having a baby."

I blinked, "What did you say?" I heard her right the first time.

I tell her to give me a few minutes to think about it (that's advice #1). I go back and forth in my mind between not wanting to be limiting, prudish, or puritanical and wanting to protect my kids and teach them to understand natural boundaries. Here's what I said.

"No Sweetie, doctors work on our bodies, and our bodies are special and private."

I will be sure and follow this up by buying a stethoscope and doing a school-time activity where they listen to each others hearts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home